While it is super important that we eat well, it is equally important to supplement our nutrient levels with high quality supplements. We can get vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from food (and need to!!) but it is nearly impossible to get 100% of the optimal levels we need every single day from just food.
In order to get 100% of the nutrients you need from food, you will have to consume 22,000 calories per day and spend $33.00 dollars a day on food just to get the optimal levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants we need (that’s crazy!).
Here are 10 reasons why supplementation is key to optimal health:
1. The “Recommended Daily Intake”: Developed in the 1900’s (yes more than 100 years ago!), RDI is the daily intake level of a nutrient that is considered to be “sufficient” to prevent nutrient deficiency diseases. Research tells us that your body does not thrive on “sufficient” health, in thrives on “OPTIMAL” health.
2. Soil Depletion: Improper farming practices deplete the soil of nutrients. When plants are repeatedly grown on the same land, the soil loses nutrients faster than they can be replaced. Over time, plants have fewer nutrients to grow and you have fewer nutrients to keep your body healthy.
3. Fertilizers: These synthetic materials are used to accelerate the growth of plants, they contain just enough nutrition for the plant to survive until harvesting, but not enough to support your optimal health needs.
4. Non-ripe products: Most plants are not fully harvested nor delivered to the store fresh. Most fruits and vegetables sit on trucks, shelves, and counters for weeks before you buy them. The nutrient content of these plants decreases as they spend more time away from their roots.
5. Water: This vital liquid is also depleted of minerals due to different filtering and production methods.
6. Pesticides: These chemicals are used to repel or destroy any living organism such as fungus or bacteria that may damage a crop. Did I mention pesticides are highly toxic to your health? They can destroy your health too!
7. GMOs: Genetically Modified Organism, is any organism whose generic material has been altered using engineering techniques to produce other goods RATHER than food, yet again, they are in your food… GMOs are a way to ensure farmers get the crop yield they demand, no matter how it hurts humans or the environment.
8. Environmental Toxins: Everybody needs nutrients to deal with toxins. When you are constantly exposed to BPA, radiation, industrial solvents, cleaners, smog, etc, your body needs EXTRA nutrients to win the battle!
9. Meat: If you eat meat you must know this! Most animals are being fed contaminated food, as a result you are eating a contaminated animal. Plain and simple.
10. Nutrient Mal-Absorption: Your ability to absorb nutrients decreases with age, which means you must consume more nutrients to support optimal health and prevent chronic diseases. You think you can just eat more food? Try eating 72 cups of spinach to get your optimal level of Vitamin “E” every.single.day.
BONUS: Other things to keep in mind when thinking if supplementation is important?
– Lack of sleep.
– Exercise and nutritional demands.
– Food allergies.
– Alcohol use (yes, social drinking counts!).
– Pre-existing health conditions.
– Diet choices (vegetarian, pescetarian, vegan…).
Are you vitamin or mineral deficient? Take a look and find out how healthy are you!
Yours in Health,